Animal Management

The Alice Springs Town Council Rangers are involved in many areas of the community, from educating the community about responsible pet ownership to enforcing local by-laws. For information on animal management in Alice Springs municipality (for example questions about dingoes; other feral animals; queries about owning livestock and or want to report a animal at large) please contact our Ranger unit on (08) 8950 0500.

For information regarding pet ownership or registration, please click here.

Animal Traps

Alice Springs Town Council currently owns 35 pressure-plated small animal traps. These traps are available for the public to use on their property, assisting the Ranger Unit in humanely capturing pests, feral animals and stray pets. Capturing these animals helps safeguard the diverse range of native wildlife living in the area.

If you use a trap on your property, remember that trapped animals are vulnerable to exposure, thirst, starvation and shock. Traps must be sheltered from extreme weather and checked daily.

If you would like to use one of these traps on your property, please call the Ranger unit on (08) 8950 0500.

What do I do if I find someone else's pet?

If you find someone else's pet, you can contact The Alice Springs Town Council Ranger Unit on (08) 8950 0500 from 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, to organise animal collection.

Otherwise, pets found afterhours can be taken to the Alice Springs Animal Shelter located on Len Kittle Drive, and placed in the secure cages at the front of the facility.

What do I do if I see dingoes, wild dogs or stray dogs in the Alice Springs municipality?

Call the Ranger Unit on (08) 8950 0500.

What do I do if I find injured wildlife?

If you discover injured wildlife, call Wildcare Alice Springs on 0419 221 128.