Swim Ready! is a pre-swim check developed to achieve two key objectives:
- Improve safety and supervision of children 10 years old and under
- Maintain a high standard of pool hygiene (and decrease pool closures resulting from incidents)
A child is Swim Ready! when:
- A visit to the toilet (or a suitable aquatic nappy check by a parent or guardian) has occurred
- Showering has occurred before entering the pool
- Children can show lifeguards who their supervising adult is (or for babies and very young toddlers the supervising adult shows lifeguards the children in their care)
Once a child is Swim Ready! lifeguards (or Customer Service Assistants) can be approached to provide a Swim Ready! wrist band.
- Children 5 years old and under receive a pink wristband
- Children 6-10 years old receive a green (or colour other than pink) wristband
Coloured wrist bands indicate to lifeguards which children require arm length supervision and which children are Swim Ready!
This initiative needs to be joyfully enforced in a non-discriminatory manner.
It is important that being Swim Ready! is fun!
Implementation of Swim Ready! will be supported by:
a) Posters at ASALC
b) Facebook posts and e-newsletter notifications
c) Information that CSAs provide for caregivers of children 10 years old and under, as they enter ASALC
d) Swimming instructors ensuring class participants are Swim Ready!
e) Training for lifeguard, customer service and programs staff