In 2017 desertSMART EcoFair will be held across a number of venues in Alice Springs, including Olive Pink Botanic Gardens, The Alice Springs Community Garden and Snow Kenna Park.
Friday August 11 - Olive Pink Botanic Gardens
· EcoScience Schools Day - up to 300 school students undertake hands on science and sustainability workshops
· ABC Outdoor Broadcast – an outdoor broadcast from the Olive Pink Botanic Gardens featuring EcoFair special guests and the Great Science Quiz.
· Bicycle Film Festival - local and international films about cycling and bicycle culture
Saturday August 12 - Alice Springs Community Garden
Garden to Plate comprises of 3 components that focus on gardening, food, food energy and nutrition with:
· Green Thumbs with Costa Georgiadis (Gardening Australia) – workshop about the science of gardening
· Bush Wok Cook Off – incorporating bush foods with Raelene brown (Kungka’s Can Cook) and Alice Springs nutritionist Roy Price
· Food Waste to Energy – key presentation on biogas by Professor Bernadette McCabe (National Centre for Engineering in Agriculture)
Sunday August 13 - Snow Kenna Park
Sustainable Living Festival with feature speakers, workshops, market stalls and entertainment. Key presentations include:
· Sustainable Living Panel – Hosted by Costa Georgiadis. A practical discussion on sustainable living with the themes of sustainable fashion, local food production, water/energy efficiency and low-waste living.
· Sustainable Energy - Hosted by Repower Alice Springs. With feature presentation by energy commentator Giles Parkinson (Renew Economy). Examining how Alice Springs could meet the target of 100% renewable energy by 2030.
· Sustainable Tourism - As part of the 2017 International Year of Sustainable Tourism, this panel will discuss local examples of excellence in sustainable tourism and launch the draft Green Events guidelines for public consultation.