How to apply
To apply for a permanent position with Council, you must be an Australian citizen or have permanent resident status. Indigenous persons are encouraged to apply.
Your application should contain:
A covering letter
A section addressing each of the selection criteria
A current resume
Photocopies of any relevant qualifications
Two work-related referees
All applications are placed on file and therefore folders and binders used for presentation purposes are not necessary.
If you are applying for two or more advertised vacancies you should submit a separate application for each vacancy.
Should you require more information regarding a vacancy, please contact the contact person listed in the advertisement.
When preparing an application:
Avoid being long-winded or padding your application with irrelevant information.
Do not include original documents, eg references, certificates, as we cannot be held responsible for their return.
Ensure that your application arrives at Council by the closing date, which appears at the bottom of the advertisement.
1. Applications are assessed on merit by a three-member selection panel against the selection criteria for the position and applicants are short-listed for an interview. There may be both females and males on the selection panel depending on the gender mix of applicants.
2. The selection panel will ask a series of standard questions in line with the selection criteria for the position. You may be asked to complete a practical test relevant to the position.
3. Nominated referees may be contacted to obtain more information about you.
4. For all vacancies successful applicants will be required to undertake an employment medical including drug and alcohol testing and a criminal history check at Council's expense. Successful applicants will be required to prove that they have full work rights in Australia through either passport, citizenship certificate, or birth certificate.
5. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified in writing.
This application form may assist in the application process, but does not replace the need to submit the documentation listed below.
The cover letter introduces you and states the position for which you are applying. You should detail your relevant skills and experience and state the reasons why you want this particular job. This is your opportunity to sell yourself.
The selection criteria are listed in the Position Description, under essential/desirable criteria.
The selection panel will rate you against each of these, so read and address each of them carefully in your application.
The selection panel is interested in your skills and experience and your responses to the selection criteria and how you meet the requirements.
Try to provide evidence of your claims with examples and details of where you worked and how this is relevant to the position you are applying for.
You can also include transferable knowledge, skills or abilities in areas relevant to the selection criteria, which you have developed outside the workplace as evidence of your capacity to meet the criteria, e.g. leadership role with a voluntary organisation.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Your resume or curriculum vitae should contain the following:
Personal details including contact details
Secondary and tertiary education qualifications (copy of tertiary academic results should be included)
Other relevant courses or professional development
Employment history, current and previous, summarising position and duties and length of service
Referees (see Reference Checks). Do not include personal or social referees.
Referees provided by you may be contacted during the selection process.
Please include the names and contact numbers of referees in your application. Get permission from your referees before nominating them.
Where to send applications
Applications should be forwarded by one of the following methods:
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(submission of electronic applications is encouraged)
Or posting to:
Alice Springs Town Council
PO Box 1071
Alice Springs NT 0871
Or faxed to: (08) 8953 0558
Or hand delivered to:
The Alice Springs Town Council Civic Centre
Human Resources Department
Alice Springs Town Council
Phone (08) 8950 0528